Everyone seems to be talking about essential oils these days, so what is all the fuss about?
When sourced and produced properly, essential oils are some of natures most potent and effective tools for supporting health and wellbeing.
Essential Oil use can be traced back to every ancient culture. There have even been jars of essential oils found in Egyptian pyramids that were still in good condition!
What are Essential Oils?
Natural aromatic compounds that come from the protective oils in plants. They are found in roots, stems, leaves, flowers, sap, bark, seeds and citrus peels. They are generally steam distilled, or in the case of citrus oils, cold-pressed. These oils are protecting the plants from pests, bacteria, fungi, environmental threats, etc. and they can do the same for us!
The chemical make-up of each oil depends upon where and how it’s grown, harvested and extracted. Each oil has unique characteristics with wonderful health benefits!
There’s a seemingly endless list of beneficial properties in essential oils, some of them are: antiseptic, anti-fungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibiotic, detoxifying, disinfectant, neurotonic, antispasmodic, digestive, regenerative… and the list goes on and on.
Here are some top oils to have on hand and some great ways to use them!
Frankincense - The King of Essential Oils
- Once you become an oil enthusiast you’ll start saying, “When in doubt…Frankincense.”
- Most commonly known for it’s cellular support. You can put put one to two drops in a veggie capsule or directly into mouth.
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening for a warming and soothing effect.
- This oil helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections (think scars and wrinkles).
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.
- Diffuse to uplift mood and energy levels and to freshen the air. Add a drop to your water every day for a burst of flavor and to promote overall health.
- Use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and purify surfaces.
- For an energy boost, dispense one to two drops in the palm of your hand along with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense. Rub palms together and inhale deeply, then rub on the back of neck
- Apply over heart or take internally to reduce anxious feelings.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime to soothe and relax before sleep.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand to soothe occasional skin irritations.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
Reassuring Blend - Peace®
- Promotes feelings of peace, reassurance, and contentment
- Counteracts anxious and fearful emotions
- Diffuse at night time to promote a calming environment and restful sleep.
- When experiencing anxious feelings, apply one drop to hands, rub together, and inhale deeply.
- Diffuse or inhale before taking a test, presenting to a large group, or in times of worry or distress.
- To calm an upset or restless child, apply to bottoms of feet.
- Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset.
- Add two to three drops to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Place one drop in palm of hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up.
Respiratory Blend - Breathe®
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, use outside, or rub on chest or feet when seasonal and environmental threats are high.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
- Add 1–2 drops to tea or hot drinks during winter time to promote immune-supporting properties*.
- Use as a massage oil to calm emotions and anxious feelings.
- Take a warm bath with a few drops of Vetiver essential oil for deep relaxation.
- Diffuse with Lavender, doTERRA Serenity®, or doTERRA Balance® to calm emotions and lessen stress.
- Use a toothpick to help get the desired amount out of container if Vetiver is too thick to get out of the bottle. A little goes a long way.
Digestive Blend - DigestZen®
- Add a few drops to water to take internally or rub on the stomach before flying or taking a road trip for a calming aroma.
- Have DigestZen on hand when enjoying heavy holiday meals to promote digestion.*
- Take DigestZen with you when traveling or trying new foods to soothe occasional stomach upset.*
- Add to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
Purity, Potency & Safety
With all the oils popping up on the market, it’s important to know what you are buying. Particularly because not all essential oils are alike! There is very little government regulation on this industry, so at this point, it’s legal for companies to label their bottles, “100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil” but it only has to contain 3% of actual oil in the bottle! I caution people to stay away form buying any essential oil off of a store shelf, because the most widely available brands on the shelves are more than 50% petrochemical filler… not safe for concentrated use! Another important note, regardless of brand: essential oils should not be used internally unless you see a “Supplement Facts” box on the side of the bottle.
As a healthcare practitioner, I must do my research in order to be certain of the safety and efficacy of anything I recommended to my clients. So after researching many different essential oil companies, I found dōTERRA to be the only company producing essential oils that are absolute in purity, potency, and consistency. dōTERRA also happens to be a company of 100% transparency, giving online access to the third party testing results of every oil they sell. Last year I learned that Johns Hopkins also did their own research and chose to exclusively partner with dōTERRA for both the research and use of essential oils. So of course, that’s what I recommend to my clients.
*Digestive health is absolutely crucial to mental and emotional balance. A great many of the neuro-receptors for hormonal and brain balance can be found in the digestive tract. They work like a lock and key mechanism - the neuro-receptors being the locks. If those “locks” are jammed up with biofilms, candida, petrochemicals/pesticides/herbicides, and other toxins found in many conventional foods, those locks aren’t free to receive the proper “key”s and engage the body in the hormonal, emotional and mental balance that we might otherwise enjoy. So be sure to work with your trusted healthcare provider for counsel on your digestive and overall health!
If you would like to start supporting your health and wellbeing naturally with essential oils, I am happy to help you get started!
- Sign up for a FREE 15-minute wellness consult with me and I’ll be able to answer questions and help you start with the oils that will best suit your needs!
- Attend my FREE Online Class on Emotions and Essential Oils! Sign up here and come to the class in the comfort of your own home.. in your pj’s!